If the power goes out in a room or part of a building:
In a building-wide outage, or an outage affecting multiple buildings:
- Contact MIT Police at 617-253-1212 (x100 from a campus phone).
- Unplug nonessential major electronic equipment (computers, TVs, etc.) so that they are not damaged when power returns.
- Take actions to protect research, if applicable.
- Secure vital equipment, records, and hazardous materials if it is safe to do so.
- In a lab, open all ventilation hoods. If this is not possible, or natural ventilation is insufficient, leave the building immediately until power is restored.
If you suspect a gas leak or detect the scent of natural gas (smells like rotting eggs):
- Immediately clear the area and leave the building. Do not use elevators.
- Do not smoke cigarettes, light matches or candles, or do anything that might create heat or a spark. Do not use your cell phone until you leave the area of the suspected leak
- Leave ventilation systems on and open windows if it is safe to do so.
- Contact MIT Police at 617-253-1212 (x100 from a campus phone) as soon as possible.
- Be prepared to provide your location and the location of the odor and provide as many details as possible.
- Do not attempt to turn off the gas on your own.
- Help others who need assistance.
- Stay away from the building until you are told by responders that it is safe.