Major flooding on the campus would be the result of torrential rains, a water main failure, or from frozen pipes.
- Evacuate from affected buildings and areas immediately. See the “EVACUATION” page
- Follow instructions from the MIT Police and emergency responders for immediate actions
- Use extreme caution around appliances or electrical receptacles near the water
Minor or area flooding of the campus is a more likely scenario. This could be the result of multiple rainstorms or a water line break.
In the case of minor, weather related flooding, the MIT Emergency Management will monitor the National Weather Service and the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) to determine necessary action, such as evacuation of areas and cancellation of classes.
- Notify the MIT Police at 617-253-1212 (x100 from a campus phone)
- Secure vital equipment, records and chemicals by moving to higher or safer ground (if safe to do so)
- Shut off all electrical equipment (if safe to do so)
- Secure all laboratory experiments. When able, notify the Facilities Operations Center at 617-253-4948
- For guidance on contaminants (asbestos, sewerage, etc.), contact the EHS Office at 617-452-3477 or visit their website
- Wait for instructions from the MIT Police, and emergency responders, for immediate actions
- Do not return to your building unless you have been cleared to do so by MIT Police