In the event of an emergency, the links below can serve as a quick reference for different types of emergencies.
However, we highly recommend you review the information before an emergency occurs, in order to increase your preparedness.
If you are unsure what to do in an emergency, always follow the instructions of Institute and emergency personnel.
Incident Specific Guides
How to Report an Emergency
POLICE, FIRE, AMBULANCE services ON CAMPUS:
- Call MIT Police at 617-253-1212 (from any phone)
- Call MIT Police at x100 (from any campus phone)
- Activate a Blue Light emergency call box (many throughout campus)
POLICE, FIRE, AMBULANCE services OFF CAMPUS:
- Call 911 (calls go to the Massachusetts State Police then are rerouted to the local jurisdiction).
How to Get Information During an Emergency
When appropriate, the MIT Alert emergency notification system will send electronic messages (text, email, voice, etc.) to our registered community members and various static devices (office phones, digital displays, etc.). To find out more, please visit this page.
Information about an emergency may also be posted to:
- Emergency Info Page: www.emergency.mit.net
- Emergency Info Phone Line: 617-253-7669 (or 617-253-SNOW). This is a recorded message.
In addition, we also post MIT Alerts to the following social media channels:
- Twitter: MIT Alert (@MITalert) and MIT Emergency Management (@MITprepared)
- Facebook: MIT Alert and MIT Emergency Management
Please utilize these emergency contacts and similar services (mental health, physical security, etc.) that may be needed during or after an emergency.